Making your own smoker doesn’t necessarily have to be a big project, especially if you are just a small family who simply want to enjoy a little outdoor cooking during the weekends.
When we think of DIY smokers, we usually imagine drum or barrel smokers which could be a challenge for some of us to convert into smokers. Projects such as these also tend to take more than a single weekend to accomplish. Now if you’re looking for something cheaper, easier and quicker, you can use terracotta pots. This has got to be the easiest DIY smoker project, which will only take a few hours to make. You can easily make it in a morning and be smoking your food in the afternoon! You might even already have the needed materials in your home right now! You can also take this opportunity to make use of metal pans that have broken handles, if you have one. With a clay pot smoker, you can enjoy all the delicious flavours that smoking produces, with very little effort. Enjoy!
You’ll need these materials:
- Electrical Hot Plate (1,000 watts or greater)
- Clay Pot (12 to 16″ diameter)
- Smaller Clay Pot or Tray (for lid)
- Circular Cooking Grate (sized to pot interior)
- 5-7 pcs 2″ thick Brick or Patio Block Scraps
- Metal Pie Pan
- Oven Thermometer (with range up to 220 degrees Farenheit)
- 1 pc 3/8″ or 1/2″ x 6″ Eye Bolt, with 2 Washers and 2 Nuts
- 1 pc 6″ long Wood Dowel (for handle)
And these tools:
Click on any image to start lightbox display.Use your Esc key to close the lightbox. You can also view the images as a slideshow if you prefer
Thanks to Mother Earth News for this great project. You can get step-by-step instructions here…