There are endless options and ideas that homeowners looking to improve their outdoor living space can leverage. While some prefer excellent landscaping, bright-colored flowers, and plants, others think of an outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and alternative installations.
Outdoor gazebos are increasingly becoming a popular option for homeowners who want an outdoor structure with additional functionality. Backyard gazebos can be constructed in different styles and from various materials. If you are an experienced handyman with great construction skills, below are insightful tips for positioning and sprucing up your gazebo.
Picking the Best Spot for Gazebo in Your Backyard
Besides having the best gazebo design, you should pick the best spot to build your gazebo in your backyard for various reasons. Positioning your gazebo perfectly allows you to maximize its use. However, where you place the gazebo primarily depends on the available backyard space.
A big backyard offers more options, while a small one means you’ll have to sacrifice other outdoor structures for the gazebo. You should consider the following when deciding where to construct the gazebo.
1. Purpose or Functionality
You should know the intended use or purpose of the gazebo before picking a spot. Homeowners prefer gazebos to pergolas because they provide protection from extreme weather, offer sheltered relaxation, and can be used in many ways in all seasons.
The intended reason for construction will influence its positioning. For instance, if you want a gazebo to protect you from harsh weather, consider building it close to the house. Similarly, if you want a private place to relax peacefully, find a secluded area in your backyard.
Still, you should determine the time of day you’ll mostly use the gazebo. If you are a morning person and enjoy watching the morning sun as you take your coffee, find a spot that is directly in line with the rising sun.
2. Available Space
You should design your gazebo to fit the available backyard space. If your garden is small to medium-sized, size your gazebo accordingly. Ideally, backyard constructions, including the deck and patio, shouldn’t cover more than a quarter of the available ground space.
Homeowners with large backyards can choose their dream gazebo designs. The best place to position a gazebo in a small backyard is against the wall or in a corner. While gazebos don’t take up much space, installing them at the center blocks much space.
You should also consider a square-shaped gazebo design to maximize the space.
You should consider the lay of your backyard when picking the perfect spot for your gazebo. Survey various parts of your garden and evaluate the ground level, foundation, and possible obstructions. You can take advantage of raised areas, as they provide better views.
Little ground dips are also perfect for those who need privacy. Trees are the other determining factor. Shrubs and trees can provide good shade and privacy. The only challenge is some trees with superficial roots can damage the foundation.
Tree branches can also fall and destroy your gazebo. On the other hand, the structure can affect the plant’s ability to grow.
Design Tips for Sprucing Your Backyard Gazebo
Having picked the perfect position for your gazebo, you should work with a professional gazebo builder and contractor for the construction process. The following additional features can make your structure unique:
1. Add Some Light to Your Gazebo
Lighting is a crucial element that breathes life into your gazebo and any other outdoor structure. Some of the best lighting types for such an outdoor space include:
- String lights – Festoon or string lights are popular outdoor lights. They are warm, affordable, and stylish. However, you should choose LED light bulbs for their durability and low energy consumption.
- Fairy lights – These can be placed horizontally, vertically, or outside the gazebo. Fairy lights have small light bulbs that add warmth and create a relaxing atmosphere.
- Candle lights – These create a warm and intimate environment, especially if you prefer dining outside. They also produce pleasant aromas, depending on your preferred scent. They are best paired with hanging flowers.
2. Furnish Your Gazebo
With proper lighting in place, you should look into furnishing your gazebo. Some of the best options include:
- Chair and sofas – Rattan-effect chairs and sofas add extra style and comfort to the space. Corner sofa sets are ideal if your gazebo can accommodate many people.
- Throw pillows – Throws are another practical addition, especially when unwinding in the evening. They are also visually pleasing and perfectly complements chairs and sofa. Choose durable, breathable, and waterproof materials.
- Tables – If your gazebo has limited space, opt for small, circular outdoor tables or picnic tables. Adding a perfectly-sized table extends the functionality of your outdoor space.
3. Accessorize the Gazebo
As mentioned, this structure is a perfect relaxation space. You should consider accessorizing it through:
- Speakers – Sound systems and speakers are perfect decorative accessories that can bring life into your gazebo. You can choose from several options, including color-changing LED and solar Bluetooth speakers.
- Wind chimes – You can also accessorize the space creatively using wind chimes. The calming and therapeutic sound of wind chimes is perfect for unwinding.
4. Add Some Color to Your Gazebo
The best way to make your gazebo exude vibrancy is by adding some color. Fortunately, you can achieve this in many ways, such as:
- Installing lanterns – The many types of lanterns can make it challenging to find the best option. Bottle lanterns are stylish and give your gazebo a rustic feel. Choose red, green, purple, or orange bottle lanterns for some color variance. Jar and hanging paper lanterns are also excellent options.
- Outdoor rug – You can use an outdoor rug to extend your living space. Choose a multicolored rug with geometric-inspired designs for a better appeal.
- Hanging planters – Hanging different plants also adds color to your gazebo. The bright pink geraniums, red begonias, or pink fuchsias are excellent choices.
Deciding to construct a gazebo in your backyard is certainly exciting. It is a perfect space for relaxing, socializing, entertaining guests, and unwinding. However, you should choose a perfect location before you get started. You should also choose a good design and explore various ways of improving its functionality.