A downspout is very important in a house. Also called a drainpipe, waterspout, drain spout, or downpipe, it creates a path so that water can pass from the gutter to the ground. It is an enclosed pathway that prevents the water from damaging the foundation of the home by passing it away from the base of the house.
- 1 Why Downspouts Matter: Understanding Their Impact on House Safety
- 2 The Takeaway
Why Downspouts Matter: Understanding Their Impact on House Safety
Without a downspout, water would get collected in the gutters and it would eventually overflow, which will wear off the structural integrity of your home. Downspouts are made of the same material as the gutters, which can be steel, copper, zinc, and aluminium.
Channelling Rain: How Downspouts Keep Gutter Systems Functioning
They play a key role in gutter systems, so you should plan properly. The downspout and gutter are connected just above the fascia board, which is a wood piece between the top of the gutter and the bottom of the roof. There will be water damage on this wooden board if there is no downspout.
Before attaching a downspout to the drainage system, it is essential to first insert a connecting pipe through a hole in your gutter. You must then seal this hole to prevent any leaks. Next, attach the downspout’s top to your connecting piece with screws or glue. You can then fix the remaining pipe down the side of your home and make it meet the ground.
To catch the dispensed water efficiently the downspout is designed like a curve at the bottom and top portions.
Without downspouts, rainwater falling from the roof can erode the foundation of your home and lead to the growth of mould. Downspouts can control the runoff and channel the water away from the house, thus preventing damage from excessive water accumulation.
- Downspouts can also protect against debris like leaf litter, which can clog up your gutters. This can prevent water from draining.
To make it even more efficient, install an extension pipe so that the downspout can be buried underground. This will ensure that the water will be diverted away from the home.
Thus, they play a key role in making sure that the home is safe. However, still, many homeowners don’t understand how important they are for the safety of the home’s overall structure.
Understanding the Price Tag: What Goes Into the Cost of a Downspout Installation?
For best results, you have to place them every 30-35 feet of the gutter. You have to position them in a way to make sure that the water is drained away from the foundation of your home.
Most houses will need 6 downspouts at least. To install or replace them, you will have to handle the fascia support brackets, ferrule and spike support, the assemblies of the downspouts, and also items like the outlets and boxes. You may also need additional items so that the base of your downspout can be directed away from the home’s foundation.
The cost to install downspout can be as follows:
- Labor Cost – $160
- Galvanized – $9-$11
- Aluminum – $5-$7
- Vinyl – $5-$8
- Materials – outlet tubes, elbows, splash block, straps – $50
- Total cost – $215-$250
The repairing cost for one or two downspouts can be between $5 and $11 for each linear foot. The average cost for complete gutter replacement can be anything between $1,600 and $2,175. Sometimes, an entire replacement job is needed. It will extend the life of the gutter.
Factors That Affect the Downspout Installation Cost
The cost to install downspouts will vary depending on various factors.
- Size of your home and how many stories – The estimates for home improvement are based on the square footage. However, for downspouts, the cost will be by linear foot. Experts agree that most homes require 1 downspout for every 20–30 feet of the gutter. Your home’s height is also an important factor. You will need more material naturally for a three-story house compared to a single-story building, which means more cost.
- Material – You will find downspouts in different materials. For best results, you have to match replacement downspouts to the gutter material you have presently. The cost range for installing aluminium by the linear foot will be between $7.38 and $32.24. For galvanized it is $6.18 and $28.37. For PVC, it will be between $5.66 and $10.53, and for copper, it can be between $20.38 and $64.04.
- Seamed vs. seamless – Some downspouts and gutters are available in sections, which fit together. They are secured by screws. Seamed downspouts will cost you less money as they can be installed easily. The seamless varieties are extruded from big metal sheets and have minimal joints. Metalworking knowledge and also some special equipment will be needed for them, which increases the cost. It also takes a longer time to install them, which also impacts the price.
- The labour cost – In most instances, the cost of downspouts will be included in the complete gutter system installation. However, if you just have to replace one or two downspouts, then you must add the labour charge to the cost of the material. A few things will add to the labor cost like extensions, special hangers, buried drainage liners, and a few more. The labour cost will be higher for seamless downspouts because of on-site fabrication. Also, remember, the cost will be higher for multi-story houses.
How Often Do You Have To Clean the Downspouts?
You have to clean the downspout completely only 1–2 times a year. The gutters too need to be cleaned once or twice. It is time for cleaning if the system is full of debris or is not draining properly. Cleaning is easy. You just need some common household items like a ladder and a bucket.
Many homeowners can clean the gutter and downspouts. However, the installation job is best left to the professionals. To carry out a thorough job and ensure that water flows out smoothly, you can hire a professional downspout and gutter cleaning service.
Downspouts are essential in all homes. They will allow the water to flow through and keep the home’s foundation safe. They will save homeowners a lot of money towards repair costs. By channeling the water away properly and providing good drainage, they will protect the integrity of the home. So, it is always a good idea to invest in getting a good downspout system.